Monday, October 12, 2009

DIY Headbands

As a sorority girl, it’s safe to say all of my sisters have a passion for Lily Pulitzer and/or Vera Bradley but with sundress prices averaging in the $200 and $300 (hence my hunt on ebay for NWT styles) and tote bags over $40, it’s a bit unrealistic and pricey to have a variety of these labels.

A great way to add the color flavor of these looks is headbands. You can buy basic, wide plastic headbands at any Wal-Mart, Target, or craft store.

Next you need to buy the fabric. For Vera fabric I suggested just buying the napkin in the pattern you like (I believe it is $6 at most retailers or you can find it on ebay). For Lilly, you should either search ebay for fabrics or another great place online is http://thelillypadshop.com/home where you can get fabric in different shapes and sizes.


Usually you end up with more fabric than needed but these would make great gifts! To spice up the headband, you could bedazzle it (oh how I love bling), add a bow, or anything else to add personal style!

You could also do this with other fabrics you have lying around or fabrics you find in the scraps bin at your local craft store.

-Meredith Leigh

9 comments:

Emily Cato said...

Wow, thanks for the advice! Those are super cute!

M said...

Oh, Lilly Pulitzer, don't get me started! I have a whole collection here at home that I picked up from local vintage stores! And also, these headbands are so cute.... viva Blair. :)

simplycheapchic said...

I'm glad you guys like them!

speaking of viva blair,i made one for a friend out of this awesome shiny, dark grey fabric i found at walmart and then used the leftover to make a big bow on it. (she gets a million compliments on it and i secretly wish i hadn't given it away!haha)

thanks again for your comments!

erika sorocco said...

I am so going to try this. I always see those plastic headbands at Target and Wal-Mart - they come across as so lackluster, but with some fabric they could really pop. Ooh, new DIY for me to try. Thank you, darling! :)

Tights Lover said...

What a great idea! Good thinking.

daisychain said...

thank you =) great blog.

chic femme said...

What a great idea I love headbands and they are so expensive. So, why not make your own. :)

Sissy Slut Heather said...

Ooo I love this idea! I think what I am going to try is just hem a few inches off a dress then use the fabric to make a matching headband!! Thank you!
Kisses,
Heather

Shelby said...

I have tried these before but couldn't seem to find the right glue :( what do you use for adhesive? Thanks!

Post a Comment